Friday, October 26, 2007

WORKDAY #5

- by Carolynn

It is a bittersweet day. We ended our work on Miss Verna Mae’s house. We celebrated tonight with her and daughter Gwen at a fellowship dinner at St. Paul’s. Afterwards, we all watched a slide presentation of our time here and our work on Miss Verna Mae’s home.


I wandered the house throughout the day, trying to absorb memories to take home. I didn’t want this to be over, and I’m certain I was not alone in my thoughts. I wanted to stay; to finish Miss Verna Mae’s home. As one of the group observed, I wanted to stay and make it pretty.

I did things I’ve never done before – hung sheetrock FOR REAL! Bought and used a dimple bit, and magnetic extender on my cordless drill. I DO love this work – and it makes me wonder why I worked a desk job all my life, rather than being out and dirty! Oh, the rewards of being grimy and tired and soooo happy at the end of the day. Oh, the rewards of sharing this experience with like-minded people. Oh, the joy of being here, helping, making the smallest difference in someone’s life.

I’m filled up again this year, and in some respects, will miss New Orleans even more than last.

God willing, I’ll be back next year.

No comments: