Wednesday, October 24, 2007

New Orleans Experience

- by Robin M.

The New Orleans experience touched my heart these last few days…it beckons me to remember that two years ago this city stood toe to toe with Katrina and unfortunately the old city got the worst of the fight.
I am amazed to see many areas still show the wear from the fight, and the wounds STILL run deep. As we drive to work through the neighborhood I see blocks with one house renovated and several empty broken homes next door. A few of the homes have FEMA trailers in their tiny yards and I imagine their occupants hoping some day to move back into the family home of 80 years.

Verna Mae told us that her home was her family's for many years…you can tell she wants to return home.

So, I am sad that in a day and half I will stop work, prepare to go home, say goodbye to many new friends, and there is still a lot of work to be done. Yet I smile knowing that even though we worked on only one house this week, it is something, a step closer to returning people to their beloved homes and revitalizing the once great American city, New Orleans.

No comments: